Thursday 5 June 2014

A 70th Anniversary Posting - Operation Deadstick

Captain Priday and two men from 'D' Coy, 2nd Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

This is more of a 'this day in history post' but also a post in tribute of one of the most daring assaults of WW2.  Since I read Stephen Ambrose's Pegasus Bridge book as a teen this operation has always held my imagination and admiration.  The feats of Operation Deadstick will no doubt be very well known to you and the wiki article gives a concise history for anyone who isn't familiar.

On this 70th anniversary of the landing at 2316hrs BST, I for one will be raising a glass at that time to their memory and their exploits.

The photo above for me is just so iconic.  It shows very well trained, determined troops in the actual kit worn in the attack.  Utterly hard as nails is one phrase that comes to mind.

Normal service will resume from me when I have actually got to paint something.  Studying and revising a multitude of lists for an exam is not leaving me much time.  My memory just doesn't remember lists - in fact I'd have to carry an umbrella to prove I'm British because I can never remember a password!

2 comments: